According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Sponges are a hot spot for microbe growth like mold, yeast, E coli, and other foodborne pathogens. These little creatures can be transferred to countertops, faucets, dishes and food. They are the number one thing that spreads germs around the kitchen! Some of these sponges advertise antibacterial or odor removing benefits. These have toxic chemicals like triclonsan that kill microbes but have also been linked to diseases like cancer.
These toxins have also been building up in our waterways wreaking havoc on fish and other marine life.
Sponges can be sanitized by rinsing then microwaving them for at least 60 seconds after each use, make sure it’s wet so it doesn’t catch on fire, or sticking them in the washing machine. It’s good to have a few sponges in rotation to let them dry between
The Environmental Factor:
Most kitchen sponges are made of polyurethane, a petroleum-based product and other oil-based plastics. Sponges can only be used or a limited amount of time no matter how well we keep them. When we throw them away they become another plastic item in the landfills.
A more expensive but good alternative to these environmental considerations is the cellulose sponge. It is make of would pulp and is biodegradable. Make sure they are 100% cellulose or they will have polyester filling. These sponges still have
to be sanitized.
Do you have any ideas for kitchen sanitation or sponge alternatives? Please share them!